Closing the Therapeutic Relationship

Today, I will have to say "Good-bye" to a client who has blossomed in music therapy. "Q" is leaving today after about a year of time at our facility. "Q" is a young man who has a horrible history of neglect and physical abuse. He arrived with no communication or social skills and is leaving a young man who can indicate what he needs without biting or screaming. He is truly a success story for the people who work at my place of employment.

"Q" has been featured in several of my previous blog posts. He interacted with me through the music way before he interacted with others. He responded to music in ways different than any other stimulus. He is a young man who deserves music in his education because he truly does perform his educational objectives more when music therapy is the primary form of intervention.

Did I ever mention that "Q" has gigantic blue eyes?

Today I have to say "Good-bye" to "Q."

Ending a therapeutic relationship is never an easy situation, but it is a part of every relationship. In this case, I am not part of the termination/discharge decision, and that makes it a bit more difficult to accomplish. In my facility, the state department of mental health determines when clients leave (primarily due to funding issues), and the direct care staff do not have input. Children arrive and leave at the whims of outside social workers.

"Q" has made such remarkable progress with us that he has been determined to be ready for foster care. I know, with my head, that this step is due to his growth and really is the best things for him, but my heart wants to keep him around longer. I don't feel that it is time to close the therapeutic relationship, but I have no choice. I hope that "Q" will continue to be involved in music therapy, but I don't think it will happen. I will wave to him as he leaves for his new adventures, suppress a tear, and meet the new students arriving for treatment.

Good-bye, "Q." I'll miss our Wednesday afternoon sessions. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA