Thoughts

This week has been a week of thinking. Now, just to warn you, my thoughts are not always nicely organized, but they are what they are. Be prepared for a bunch of randomness as ideas bubble to the surface of my brain and out onto the blog...

Abstract concepts are difficult to teach to persons with developmental disabilities. I don't know how many times interns have done the "Play how you feel" therapeutic musical experience just to see it crash and burn as clients play the same way for all emotions. I wish we (we being all of us teachers and supervisors) would stop using this as an example of something to do with adolescents. NOT ALL ADOLESCENTS GET IT! There are SOOO many other good things that adolescents can and will do. Let's stop beating the emotion horse in this particular manner...

I watched The King's Speech last night. I know I am one of the few people who didn't watch it in the theater, but I am glad that I didn't go to the theater to watch it. I cried like a baby throughout the movie. I was a stutterer at age 6. No one knew why I was stuttering until my mom was playing kickball with me in the backyard. I kept backing up and trying to kick the ball with my right foot. Now, I am a STRONGLY left-side dominant person. My mother, who is also left-handed, asked me why I was stopping and kicking with the other foot. I told her I had to since I was getting yelled at school for using my left foot. Apparently the PE teacher was trying to "fix" me by making my use my right side. This was scrambling my oral motor development, and I was stuttering. My mother, a fierce advocate for her children at any time but VERY adamant that their development NOT be messed with (an Occupational Therapist), marched herself down there and ripped the PE teacher a new one. I was allowed to use my left foot, and BEHOLD, the stuttering disappeared (mostly).

Watching the movie, it was amazing to hear of King George VI's "conversion" from lefty to righty as well as the expectations that were placed on him as well as the emotional abuse that he suffered. I was thankful that my mom went as crazy as she did on my behalf. I cannot imagine what my life would have been like as the new kid in school who stuttered. Being the new kid in school 4 times was bad enough.

I am getting ready for a new intern. This intern does not start until January, but I am still getting ready. I do this every time I accept a new one into my program. At this time, I am working on an internship handbook to use with my intern. I am also working on a different handbook that is more general for use in many different National Roster Internship programs. Just a little something to keep myself engaged.

I will be enjoying the sunrise this morning on my way to work.

Random.

I wish that Netflix would post more seasons of television shows to watch instantly. I would watch them, I promise!

Gotta go to work...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA