A Return to the Electronic World

Approximately 90 minutes after my last post on this blog, my computer had a MAJOR CPU (central processing unit) meltdown and stopped working. This CPU failure led to 5 days of electronic detoxification as the computer had to go to Houston to be repaired, and I wasn't going to go to work simply to use the computer there (it really wasn't worth the gasoline or the time to go there). On Wednesday, I did go back to work for the school year orientation and found that the world went on without me.


Today, when I got the repaired computer back, I eagerly went back online. I went to Facebook, reviewed my email accounts, and then started to scroll through my favorite sites. I spent some time trolling through the blogs of music therapists and music therapy interns that are linked to many other blogs. It was an interesting exercise in the history of music therapy professionals.

I read the blogs of current music therapy interns (all from Florida State, interestingly enough - it must be an assignment). I remember that excitement. The first-day jitters or going to the internship setting - would I like it? Would they like me? Would I even want to be a music therapist when I was done? I remember my relief when my supervisors seemed to enjoy me and my skills as a novice therapist. I enjoy looking back over my journal, my session plans, and my assignments from my practica and my internship. I enjoy seeing myself from my new perspective of practiced therapist.

I also look at the blogs of therapists who are younger in the world and the profession than myself. Many times, their blog entries are about things that I have also gone through as a therapist. There aren't many therapists my age who are blogging, but I am also a fan of a couple of therapists who are my age or just a bit older. I enjoy reading their blogs as an indication of where I can go in my professional life.

Get out there. Look at the resources that are available to us as therapists. We are no longer alone in the world, especially when we can connect electronically at the blink of an eye. When I was a beginning therapist, I spent much of my time as the only music therapist. I could connect with others via mail or the telephone, but instant connection was not possible. Now, I can ask a question on the music therapy listserve and get twenty answers within five minutes. This amazes me.

I enjoy being in a global community of music therapists. I do not often take advantage of this, but I like knowing that I am one of many in the world who use music to affect change in the lives of ourselves and others. Thank goodness for these connections - all through electronic means! I am back in cyberspace and ready to connect!! Are you out there?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA