Insights into Me

I feel that I am pretty self-actualized. I know my strengths, my weaknesses, and my areas of focus. I have come to the conclusion that I cannot do everything, and that is fine (most of the time). 

I still have my moments of insecurities, my "I should" moments, and my times when I feel inadequate as a therapist. I think these moments help me to strengthen my skills and attitudes about being a therapist. I have a chance to reflect on myself and my skills as a therapist - I try to take advantage of these moments.

Here are my strengths:
  • Genuine interest in music as a therapeutic medium for persons with developmental issues and psychiatric concerns
  • Constant questions about music as a therapeutic medium
  • Enjoys music
  • Enjoys people
  • Creativity
  • Flexibility
  • Goal-oriented
Here are some of my weaknesses:
  • Perfectionist
  • Tries to take over the world
  • Wants more opportunities to help others
  • Time management
  • Procrastination
There are many, many more.
I guess the most important aspect of being a therapist is that you recognize and then address your strengths and weaknesses. Many therapists appear to believe that this can only be done in a therapeutic session. I think that the requirement of seeking outside supervision is not necessary for those who are able to provide some of the benefits of supervision in other ways. I have my friends, my family, and my co-workers who assist me in finding my way through the complex situations of being a therapist.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA