Reflections...

Thoughts about being a music therapist often intrude into my vacations. This is the situation right now. I am currently vacationing from my school job during summer break. The break lasts for two weeks, and I will be spending it in glorious solitude at my home. This time away from work and work issues will make me a better therapist when I return. 


I enjoy some time away from being a therapist. There are times when being a therapist is difficult. I firmly believe that all therapists have to take some time out of therapeutic relationships to refresh and renew. I look forward to these times. I try not to think about work or work issues during my vacations, but thoughts of and about music therapy often intrude.



Today is my fourth day of vacation. I have fourteen days to go before I go back to work. I was ready to be on break and now I am ready to be away from work for a short time.

My plans are to clean, sort, and throw away. My house is a pit at this point. There are things everywhere that have piled up since my last vacation. I am going through things one box at a time, making decisions about what to keep. I have found many things that I have started to do but have not completed. This is a time to complete some of those things.

I often tell my interns that they have to remove the words, "need" and "should" from their vocabularies. I often have to do the same thing. Right now, I will practice what I preach about those particular words.

Right now I want to rephrase the things that I am thinking.  

Statement #1:I need to clean, and I should be doing that right now rather than typing on this blog.
Rephrase #1: I will empty three boxes today and remove the trash from the house so it will never return.


I will use this break time to reflect on my professional life as well as my personal life.

I will have some fun.

I will keep moving towards my personal and professional goals.


There will probably be lots of time to blog over the next two weeks, so be prepared for lots of rambling discussions full of sound and fury signifying nothing.


Signing off -


me

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA