Cleaning Out
I am in the process of cleaning out my 41 years of accumulated crap. Now, I am not just a pack rat, I am almost to hoarder status. I can honestly say that I like my crap. I enjoy the prestige of having lots of things. The problem is that I have a finite amount of space available to store said things. There come times when something has to go. For my sake, I hope that I can be motivated enough to get rid of lots of things in the next 5 days.

Fortunately, I have a timeline. The church is having a rummage sale next weekend, so I have to get things sorted and out of the apartment by next Thursday. After that, stuff needs to be donated to one of the local thrift stores. I have eight more days to get things done.

In a stretch, I feel that my pack rat nature makes me a good therapist. Now, I know there are folks who would disagree, but my need to collect things extends to my need to collect ideas, theories, and techniques. My bag of tricks is like my apartment's current state...full to the brim. What I haven't figured out in my physical environment that I have figured out in my therapeutic environment is that there are times when you have to purge the old or take it out and update it a bit. I have done that as a therapist.

I remember the old days of believing everything that a professor told me without questioning. "If Dr. ** said it, then it MUST be law!" I have "grown up" enough in the profession of music therapy to know that professors do not have the only answers. I am actualized as a therapist and can sort through the information given to make appropriate decisions for me and for my practice as a clinician. I throw away the old ideas and make ways for the new ideas, or I revamp the old ideas into new ones.
Back to cleaning up the stuff that invades my physical life. The therapy idea is out and exposed, now on to the more practical aspects of life.

Happy cleaning!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA