Bickering with the Rest of the Music Therapy World

Well, the music therapy world is rocking with a discussion about listserve etiquette this weekend! It amazes me who chimes in on certain topics. At issue this time is long messages clogging up the mailboxes of certain therapists. There was an initial request for folks to delete the earlier emails when responding. This led to a series of requests from others to:
  • keep little comments from the entire list
  • stop using the list to elicit activity ideas (proffered by one of the "holier-than-thou")
  • use the blog
  • and to just delete things
I started to laugh.

There is something funny about how we can take these comments from one another so very seriously. In addition, it just reinforces the current attitude of my generation which consists of "it's all about me." Damn the consequences for someone else - I want things my way or no way!! What is going on in the world these days??


I just laugh at the absurdity of us all as I delete the messages.


I have made some proactive decisions surrounding the listserve for my own sanity. They are as follows:
  1. There are some people that I only read if I want to engage in a fight;
  2. There are some people that I think are idiots, and I delete them immediately;
  3. There are some people that I respect so I look to see what they write;
  4. and I rarely respond to conversations unless I feel passionate about a topic.
I do not feel it necessary to publish these thoughts and decisions to the world on the listserve. The discussion has gone on far too long, so I will publish this on this obscure little blog and move on.


I wonder if anyone else finds this as absurd?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA