Leaping OUT of the Comfort Zone into the FRAY

Here I am, again, after almost 15 years of settled routine, jumping into the job market. This has been precipitated by a significant change in how I feel my services are perceived by the administrators at my current facility. I am always heaped with compliments by folks who have never observed a session. They appear to get all of their information about my effectiveness from whether students smile when leaving the session - not very good quality control here. I have always told myself that I would pursue any and all opportunities that came my way...

I have applied for a position as a Director of Music Therapy at a facility that I would never have considered two years ago. It is in a large metropolitan area and appears to be very well established in that area as a creative arts therapy program. I have my first interview tomorrow afternoon, and I am nervous.

It is interesting how we can become comfortable in our routines and situations. I love my perfect job - most of the time. The therapy work is invigorating, the clients are delightful, but the politics bring me down every time. I do not like having to make therapeutic decisions based on what teachers will feel rather than on how clients will benefit from the services provided. This has led to an increase in looking at posted jobs for music therapy.

This job came through a music therapy listserve three different times. I looked at it first and discarded due to the location. The second time, I thought, "Maybe I should investigate more." The third time appeared to be a sign that I really should look at the position more carefully. I thought about it, prayed about it, and then took a deep breath before plunging into the fray. I updated my resume (untouched since 2003) and sent it in. I received an email inviting me for a phone interview. I am officially looking for a new job.

Here I go...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA