Disappointment

I had a job interview a week ago. It looked like a promising "step-up" for me - a director of music therapy for an influential music academy in a large metropolitan area. The interview went well, and I had an invitation to attend the second round in a week. They wanted someone really fast (within 2.5 weeks) which sent up a red flag, but it seemed to be a place where I could be challenged with new things in my therapy life.

I started to calculate how much I would need to attend the second interview.

One of the things never mentioned was the salary being offered. They were requesting persons with Master's degrees as well as 3 years of practice, so I thought, it being in a large metro area and all, that there would be some good money involved.

There wasn't.

The salary was 40-45K per year. The benefits were decent, but nothing spectacular. I wonder why we are unwilling to demand salaries appropriate to our education and experience? Many of the jobs out there now require higher education, yet they pay nothing! It is a crock and a shame.

I had fun interviewing, and will continue to challenge myself to explore the job market. I need to earn more than I am making now in order to move, however. That may be a challenge.

Comments

  1. Anonymous10:34 AM

    May I ask what "Metropolitan area" that was in, or what state? I am in between MT positions right now, and would like to have a barometer on what the current range is in. I know it varies widely across the country from the experience of several family re-locations for my partner's corporate positions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment - the metropolitan area was the greater Chicago area. Good luck on the job search and the relocation. - mj

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA