Getting over myself...

The self that I bring to my interactions at work is often difficult to describe. I am human and sometimes get in a snit over small things. For example, on Friday I was irked that my new interns, recovering from behavior management training, were not interacting with kids during their day. I had asked them to join the activity, and they did not. Then, I got irked because the other two "team mates" on the team, people who are supposed to be good role models, were not participating either. What a mess. So, I spent time sitting in my office eating junk for lunch. I did not address this issue with anyone but one of the team mates that I mentioned earlier. She responded, "we all have had times where we sat on our butts." I agree with that, but responded, "Not after a direct request from my supervisor."

There are several things that contributed to the emergence of this particular self. I am not feeling well for no apparent reason. This is a major situation as I am stuck by symptoms at any particular time. The pain often takes over and leaves me breathless. The second thing is PMS.

I have been able to recognize times when I am not fit for human interaction. I take myself out of the interaction situation and go into isolation. I spend time away from others and work through my snit. I have worked through the snit at this point, but I still feel that the situation needs to be addressed. I will give the interns the benefit of the doubt and give them one more week to demonstrate that this was a fluke rather than a pattern. If it is a pattern, there will be no holding back.

My therapeutic self is generally pretty even keeled. I am able to handle clients with extreme aggressive behaviors in a calm and consistent manner. I am able to problem solve, adapt, and engage clients in nonphysical and unemotional ways. I pride myself on being appropriate in difficult situations. There are times, however, when other things and presences take over.

How can we, as therapists, handle those times when the human-ness takes the therapist over?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA