The Therapeutic Use of Self

Music therapy is a combination of client, music, and therapist. We do not often discuss the use of therapists in the therapeutic relationship, but the therapist is a key to the success or failure of music therapy.

I have a slight headache today and have not slept as much as I needed to last night. This will affect my interactions today. I will try to remain consistent, positive, and focused on others during the day. This is perhaps the most difficult part of being a therapist - ignoring the personal in favor of the therapeutic.

To be a therapist, you have to find the balance between "you" and "therapist." I take my baggage with me into every session. I will be taking my current insomnia, my slight headache, and my current outlook on life, my job, etc. into every session. I can try to stuff all of that deep into me and not let it affect my life, or I can use it as part of therapy to assist me in working with my clients.

The challenge is to walk the fine line between using your "self" and letting your "self" take over the relationship. In therapy, I have to use part of my "self" when I am interacting with my clients. If I do not, I am not being an authentic person or therapist. If I use too much of my "self" in the session, I will not be an effective therapist.

The very premise of music therapy is that a therapist is part of the relationship used to guide and shape the client's response to music. If the therapist cannot be client-focused during the session, music therapy will not occur.

Is this the reason why therapists burn out? The lack of understanding that while the client has a "self" to contribute to the therapy session, the therapist also has a "self" that contributes and is part of the therapeutic relationship. If you attempt to stifle or stuff the therapist's "self," you end up being inauthentic to the client. There will come a time when you will need to engage in "self" care. This must never happen during the session.

"Self" care is important.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA