Taking a Break

It is almost time for my annual summer break. This year, I get 17 days of freedom as I have some vacation days stored just for this occasion. The fact that this break starts on my 40th birthday offers me some time to contemplate the inevitability of growing older as well as to refresh my therapeutic "juices."

I have always been interested in the concept of burnout. This is especially true as I work with people who are in a period of burnout and who attempt to expose the rest of us to their way of thinking. I occasionally find myself souring to the idea of working a) as a therapist, and b) at my particular facility. When this happens, I have to take a break.

My breaks take several forms.

Often, I stop eating lunch in the staff lounge. My very wise professor once told me, "if you enjoy your job, stay out of the staff lounge." The lounge is the place where disgruntled employees go to gritch and complain about everything that is wrong with their lives. Often these employees are not satisfied with their lot in life and want everyone else to know it.

I also go on self-imposed retreat breaks. The upcoming break is one of those retreats. I am going to stay by myself, cleaning, organizing, chasing the cat, and taking naps during the day. What a luxury! I will interact with others when I want to rather than on a daily basis. I enjoy these self-imposed retreats and look forward to doing nothing and getting bored with being home. I find myself at the end of the break getting ready to go back to work.

I am not to the point of burnout with my job or with music therapy, but I do need time away from my co-workers. So, the self-imposed retreat.

Techniques I have learned in my 17 years as a therapist to combat burnout:
  • Be aware of your moods - if you are getting overly emotional about something, you may need a break
  • Do not assume that things are always your fault - sometimes they are not
  • Use your sick time when you need it
  • Figure out how you can change things within your own practice to combat routines
  • Talk to someone about how you feel about your job
  • Be aware of your relationships, both professional and personal, and how they affect your professional life
Any suggestions for others?? Let me know.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA