Day 4

It is the fourth day of my vacation. I have tackled the craft/junk room in the back of my home and am currently in the middle of sorting, trashing, and donating materials and junk that I have had for many years. In addition, I am trying to make that space more functional.

I guess, in a way, I am using this break to do the same thing. I am throwing out my therapeutic "junk" and am making myself more functional as a therapist. I am taking out my attitudes, skills, opinions, and questions, dusting them off, and reorganizing them.

Attitude reorganization tasks:
  1. "I can fix everything." There is no way that this can happen. There are things that are not my responsibility. I have to take responsibility for only the things that I can change and let the rest go.
  2. "I should be..." The problem with this one is my attitude towards life. I am a perfectionist who strives to do the "best" in everything. I often judge myself harshly and have a difficult time just relaxing and allowing myself to be at rest.
  3. "Music is solely my domain." I find this attitude easy to reorganize since I do not believe that music therapists "own" music. I feel that music can be used to elicit responses by everyone. If an occupational therapist sings to engage a client's interest in completing tasks, why would that be wrong? I use musical instruments to address issues with fine motor control.
New attitudes:
  1. I will take care of what I can. The only things that I can change are those things that are part of me. I am not the counselor, therapist, or mother of my co-workers. They are not my responsibility.
  2. I will do what I can when I can.
  3. I will support music use by people who are not music therapists. I will encourage music as a medium, explaining the difference between music therapy and the use of music, but supporting the use of music in other areas and locations.
Off to rearrange the craft room some more.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA