Camping

I'm going to camp tomorrow. This camp is for children and adolescents on the Autism Spectrum. While I have worked with kids on the spectrum for many years, and while I have camped in all types of situations, I have never combined the two experiences. I am thrilled and VERY excited about going to camp this summer.

I leave tomorrow morning for the 4-day, 3-night camp. I am lugging craft supplies, visual file folders, musical instruments, my digital camera, and my equipment for the week. I have been assigned to "assist" the music therapists who will be running sessions. This will be an experience. I have difficulty "assisting" and will have to remain in the role of "assistant" while taking pictures. I am in charge of sensory stimulation, assisting with field games, and leading arts and crafts.

Camp has always been the best environment for me. I've been to day camp, overnight camp, survival camp, science camp, church camp, and snow camp. I have always wanted to go to space camp, but I would not survive the vestibular testing, so have accepted by limitations and have not tried to go to space camp.

I'm taking my guitar. There is nothing better than playing as the sun rises in the early morning. As I am a VERY early riser, I anticipate time outside watching the sun rise, reading my book, composing music, and attempting to keep myself quiet. I'll find my place and visit it each morning.

I hope that this is a good camp.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA