Back to music therapy

So, the current flap on the listserv has settled into a VERY LONG discussion about updating to a blog or wiki. Because of this, I am returning to my favorite topic for a blog, MUSIC THERAPY!

I find it interesting when I hit creative dry spells. I am currently in one. I am spending lots of time watching interns work with my clients, and I am doing little active therapy. I am, however, making visual aids like mad. Of course, I am not using them yet, but that will come. Everytime I hit this part of the schedule, I start to have therapy withdrawals. I have decided, therefore, to not accept interns for the January 2010 position, so I can give myself a hiatus from teaching and really get back into therapy full-time.

I really enjoy my chosen profession. It is difficult, sometimes, to justify to accountants, why music therapy is an important treatment modality, but once they see a session, they understand the power that music has in our lives. I have to justify my vocation to others alot. I don't think of it as a failing on the part of my association, or as a reflection on me as a person, but I do find that talking to others about my career is an interesting challenge.

I admit, I do make decisions about revealing my profession to total strangers on airplanes based on the amount of interaction that I want to sustain. Sometimes it is just easier to state that I am a special educator rather than start the music therapy conversation. Mea culpa, mea culpa.

But, every time I take the time to talk to a complete stranger about music therapy, I am increasing public awareness of the profession. I am on the frontline of music therapy education and defense. You never know who is sitting next to you, and you may be encouraging that person to think about music therapy as a treatment option for themselves!

I like taking the option of gentle education rather than stern letters when others are using music in a therapeutic manner. I feel that the title, "Music Therapist," should be earned and not adopted by anyone who plays an instrument. However, I feel that we (as therapists) shoot ourselves in the foot when we storm into a facility that is advertising "music therapy" as a treatment and demand to see the credentials of their therapist. This leaves a bad taste in the mouth of the facility and makes them less likely to hire a therapist.

We cannot own music. We cannot, and we need to face the fact that music is out there and enjoyable by everyone. Let's defend the title of therapist, sure, but...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA