Saying Goodbye, why is it sad?
Yesterday, we finally said goodbye to our boss and colleague. A Muppets song kept running through my head...

"Saying goodbye, why is is sad? Makes us remember the good times we had."

The song goes on, but I cannot.

I feel that saying goodbye is an important process in a professional, but ESPECIALLY in a therapeutic relationship. My experience as a transplanted youngster probably contributes to this feeling. I had to say goodbye to lots of people when I was in elementary school. I am used to being the one who is leaving rather than the other way around. It is strange to be on the other side of the experience and be left.

Currently, I have been acting as a quasi-therapist to many of my co-workers as they express feelings of grief and progressed in the DABDA process. It is amazing how many people have come to the music room to chat about how they are feeling about our boss moving on in the world. Someone mentioned that I should spearhead something to increase morale, but I was not able to think of an appropriate gesture. I also felt awkward about providing a forum for folks to express their feelings while we still had our boss around. Maybe something will come to me over Fall Break (which started today!).

The process of saying goodbye has ended. We've said what we need to say and are moving on (Another Muppets song).

Here we go.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA