Monkey Moments in Music Therapy

Yesterday was a monkey day in the music therapy room at my facility. Please read on so I can explain.


There are some days where things move along swimmingly - clients entrain and get into the groove with little extra effort from the therapist, the therapist is able to be effective with many different clients, and staff members seem to understand the therapeutic outcome of every experience. Then there are other days. In honor of my current interns, I'm christening these days, "Monkey Days."


We had such a day yesterday.


The therapeutic aspect of the day was not too bad. The one group that has been giving me gray hairs was relatively controlled - I termed it "controlled chaos" - and the clients appeared to be in the therapeutic groove in the other groups, but some of the staff members seemed to do everything possible to sabotage, interrupt, and dictate the therapeutic process.


At one point, my junior intern made a sound that sounded like a small monkey. EEee. I just looked at her. Later the same day, my senior intern started to move like one of the clients who had made a movement that he had never made before. It looked like a monkey dance, so it was a monkey day in music therapy.


This, of course, ended up being the start of mass hysteria. Fortunately, the hysteria was of the giggling and laughing type. It made us realize that the staff member(s) who had caused us SO much frustration during the week was really just not in the groove at all and was only a minor part of the process and gains that we had accomplished during the day and the week.


Monkey moments - gotta love 'em!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA