The Things I Dream About...

This morning, I woke up with my thoughts on a discussion that has been going around the music therapy listserv regarding observers in music therapy sessions. I have not posted any of my opinions on the listserv primarily because I am not able to have a policy that excludes observers - my clinic is always open to all folks who enter, as is every other classroom and therapeutic treatment room in the facility. This is for the protection of the clients as well as the staff members. I admit to getting frustrated when 20 people enter my music therapy room, but I ensure that they participate in the therapeutic process rather than just staring at my clients and myself.

I have a strict "NO NOTES" rule in the therapy room. Everyone who comes in is expected to be a part of the group and the activity that is occurring st that time. This has been the hardest rule for others to accept. When I explain the therapeutic process, the relationships involved, and the need for participation, most observers go right along with my policies. If they do not, we ignore their presence, but do not stop clients from interacting with them. I figure, if they are not willing to accept my needs in the therapy arena, I am not responsible for "rescuing" them from the awkward questions that my clients will and do ask.

The other staff at my facility know that I am generally fine with observers, but they have learned to knock and look for permission before barging into the therapy room. This has been an uphill battle with some social workers, but I model the behavior that I want from them for them when I go to their rooms. My clients are learning this prerequisite well - it is amazing that the direct staff members have the greatest difficulty with common courtesy and actually attempt to make clients enter the room before I have prepared for them.

I like having observers in my room. I am not a psychodynamic therapist, so my goals are not generally concerned with disclosure or confidential topics. I am generally concerned with more concrete goals and objectives due to my clients. Group treatment is designed to increase socialization and impulse control with my clientele - adding new group members actually assists me in assessing growth in these areas. I am more reluctant to share my individual sessions with others since that is the time when a client directs the session, and I shape the session to accommodate the goals and objectives of each client. These sessions are the ones where I tend to be more probing, in addition to working on impulse control and socialization.

I was a student who entered school with the desire to be a music therapist without any actual opportunity to observe one. Apparently, my parents knew a music therapist, but did not realize that I wanted to be one as well. They tell me they would have ensured that I had observed him, had they known! I know of several non-music therapy students who have continued as music therapists because they had the opportunity to come and observe. I feel this is a crucial part of the professional development of our field. I know that many of the students that started the music therapy courses with me dropped out once they saw what a music therapist had to do in sessions. I am glad and proud of being an example of professional behavior in my area.

The other things that I dreamt about last night were getting abandoned at a rest stop, a friend (fortunately, not someone that I actually know) getting sick, and the cat - any interpretations?!?!?!?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA