Relearning Relaxation
In the life of a therapist, choir director, student, daughter, and friend, there are many obstacles to the art of relaxation. I dart from place to place and rarely sit quietly without working on some project. There are things that I want to do, things that I need to be doing, and things that SHOULD be done already. So, it is rare when I get or have to sit quietly. Yesterday was one such day. I did not sleep well and when it was time to go to work, I found that my lower extremities ached to the point of incapacitation. Now, I have been recently exposed to Fifth Disease, a little virus that causes joint pain and malaise, but I also have a tendency towards arthritis, so was not sure what the situation was with me. I called in on the first therapy day of the new year.

I spent the day on my back under every heavy blanket and pillow that I could find, seeking some relief from the pain in my legs and back. The day was spent seeking sleep rather than finding it. I also remained project free for the entire day.

This morning, I woke up with remnants of the pain still around, but I got to thinking that I would probably be healthier if I learned to relax and stopped trying to multi-task every second of every day.

SO, how to do that? That is my question and my goal for myself this year - learning to relax. My sister and a good friend surprised me with a plane ticket to Europe for this summer, and my first thought was, "I don't know what to do on a vacation where I don't have music therapy responsibilities!" What a sad commentary on my life status. So, relax, don't sweat the small stuff, take one day at a time, and we shall see how long this lasts!

Comments

  1. Why not start to learn to relax from a place that you are familiar--with music? As a fellow music therapist I often use music to relax, just listening and deep breathing. Just a thought.

    Kathy Lindberg, MT-BC

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA