Thoughts on Therapy...
I was sitting here, on my second to last Sunday off from work, just thinking about what it is to be a therapist. I talked to my intern about education versus therapy on Friday - mostly the frustration that I share with the teachers at my school about why therapy has to have different rules than the classroom. Many of them do not understand the difference. It bothers me that Ihave not been able to express the difference to them in eleven years. So, it started me thinking - dangerous pasttime! More when I get organized.

Comments

  1. Anonymous4:24 PM

    Hi there,
    I am a music therapist also, and I've experienced the same issue in my work (19 years of it). I work in an institution, and the head of the education department asked whether he could come and observe a session. I, of course, was thrilled that he would do so, and I said "yes". Well, he wrote me a big long "memo" with comments about what he had observed, and, naturally, it was all educationally-based. So I sent him back a big long memo of my own explaining the differences between doing music therapy and teaching people music. He sent me back a note thanking me for helping him recognize the differences. I decided that the team leaders in all of our units needed to understand the difference as well (what? me? ego?) and I sent it along to them too.

    The point of all that is to say, "yup, I hear your pain."
    ~RR

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA